This six week course adds important new commands such as an “EMERGENCY RECALL”, “HEEL”, “STAND”, “CONTROL DURING PLAY” and “GIVE” as well as strengthening and expanding the skills from Basic Family Dog. Distance and distraction to simulate “real life”, will be increased to the foundation exercises “STAY”, “COME” and “LET’S GO”. New helpful exercises to improve attention are added. All exercises prepare you and your dog to respond well to “off leash” work.
All of Pet-Agree, Inc. Canine Training courses are designed to teach you to teach your own dog in a positive manner. The training techniques focus on clear communication and praise to build a more rewarding relationship between you and your dog.
Treats are provided, but feel free to bring any special treats or toys from home to enhance rewarding your dog during class.
The course fee is $160.00 for six 1 hour and 15 minute sessions each week.
General Information for Class
- Time: PLEASE BE PROMPT.
- Attendance: To accomplish the goals of this course, attendance is of the utmost importance. If you must miss a class, please call us at 483-8775 to discuss how to receive your homework. If your female comes into heat during the course, please do not bring her to class. Call for alternative arrangements.
- Attire: Comfortable clothing for bending and walking is best. Shoes should be low heeled and rubber soled. Sneakers are best. No high heels, sandals, or flip flops, etc.
- Feeding: Please give your dog a light supper at least one hour before class. The rest of their meal can be fed at class as part of their rewards or later after class. For practice sessions during the week, use their food!
- Potty Time: Please allow enough time prior to class to “go potty”. Leaving and re-entering the class can be disruptive to your fellow students and you may miss important information.
- Handler: The same person should train the dog in class each week. Changing handlers can be confusing to a beginner dog. All family members are welcome to observe class. However, all family members are encouraged to learn the proper commands and methods to help the dog succeed.
- Advice: While engaged in this course, please follow the instructions you will be shown. Other well-meaning friends and relatives may only confuse the techniques. As always, if you have any problems or questions, please call immediately.
- Practice: You will be instructed on certain techniques to train your dog in class. Your dog will learn best during practice sessions at home with you. Several practice sessions of twenty minutes at different times during the day are advised. However, even 5 minutes can be very effective. Your dog will benefit from consistent and frequent sessions.
- Safety: Please do not use alcohol while training. Patience is a necessary attribute to train a dog.
- Do not approach another dog without asking the handler first.
- Children: All family members are welcome to observe. Children of a certain age are welcomed as a handler (Karen participated in her first course at the age of 8 years). Please have another adult attend to supervise small children. Feel free to call with any questions about this option.